The Margam estate in Port Talbot, South Wales, was the ancestral home of the Talbot family for nearly 500 years. Originally there was a large mansion house on the site but this was demolished in 1787 by Thomas Mansel Talbot to make space for the orangery which can now be found on the estate. It was not until 1830 that work began on a new family home on the estate. The fine Tudor Gothic mansion that can be seen today is Grade I listed and boasts many features of architectural merit. The staircase in particular is considered especially fine.
The Margam estate has been occupied in various ways for the last 4000 years. For some years there was an abbey on this site, although that closed when Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries. The present building is referred to as a castle, although it is little more than a large country country. The design borrows many features from other contemporary designs including Lacock Abbey in Wiltshire.
The castle passed out of Talbot family control in 1941, and fell into a state of dillapidation. It was badly damaged by fire in 1977, before being resored to its present state.
There is a long history of hauntings at Margam Castle. The most well-known spirit here is Robert Scott. He was the gamekeeper at the castle and is believed to have been shot and murdered by poachers in 1898. Today Roberts spirit can be seen as a dark shadow moving down the corridors of the castle. He is believed to be responsible for things being thrown at visitors and for an extremely foreboding presence experienced by so many of the visitors here.
Other experiences at Margam castle have included loud footsteps on the grand staircase, and unexplained light anomalies. Many of those who come to Margam have also reported sudden and extreme temperature drops, and the sense of a malevolent energy surrounding them. Doors are often heard slamming, and slamming and some individuals have even felt themselves physically grabbed by unseen hands.