The industrial heritage of northern England is a rich source of paranormal activity, and Armley Mills in Leeds is no exception to this rule. Tales are told of visitors experiencing unseen children tugging at their clothing, and cotton bobbins being thrown at them, or across the room. Invisible children can be heard crying in empty rooms.
Armley Mills was at one time the worlds largest woollen mill and dates from the 1788, although there has been a building on the site since at least the 16th century. In the early 19th century the mill was largely destroyed by a fire, and it is the mill as rebuilt by the owner Benjamin Gott that is seen today.
The mill ceased production in 1969 and since 1982 has housed the Leeds Industrial Museum. During the working life of the mill the conditions for the many employees were far from good, and it is this history of human misery that has contributed to the paranormal events which are so frequently experienced by todays visitors. Anyone brave enough to enter the mill building may find themselves subject being pushed by unseen hands or faced with doors that open and closed without by themselves.
Armley Mills is home to more than just poltergeist activity. Visible manifestations have been reported by many visitors, including a man in a top hat, and a woman in a black dress from the Victorian period who appears to be seeking a lost child. In addition to ghostly appearances a lot of people have reported hearing someone whispering in their ear while they have been walking through the mill alone, as if that wasn’t enough Armley Mills is noted for the smell of burning which accompanies some of the manifestations, perhaps as a result of the fire which destroyed so much of the original mill on this site.
What Happens on our Events
- Small groups on the night, no more than 10 people per group.
- Explore more traditional techniques such as Ouija boards, Table tipping, Glass divination.
- Latest ghost hunting equipment, including EMF meters, EDI meters, REM pods, Spirit boxes, Ovilus 5 and much more.
- Free time for those brave enough to explore and investigate by themselves.
- You are more than welcome to bring your own equipment with you on the night.
- When travelling to your ghost hunt please allow for possible delays during your journey.
- We recommend you bring enough layers of clothing with you to keep you warm throughout the night.
- There are NO sleeping facilities at our events unless otherwise stated by Really Haunted.
- Over 18’s only please.