A new venue exclusive to Really Haunted Events.
The Black Bull Inn
The Black Bull Inn is situated adjacent to the historic St Peter’s Church in Birstall, an unassuming market town in West Yorkshire, riddled with centuries of forgotten history. The original date of the building is a bit of a mystery. There is a stone built into the end of the wall dating back over 400 years, but it is even older.
It is known that during the Wars of The Roses, several of battles were actually fought in this area and Oliver Cromwell is recorded as having lodged at the Inn. This dates it back to the 1500’s so it has been a drinking establishment for at least 500 years.
St Peter’s Church originally belonged to the order of the Augustinian Monks at Nostell Priory and there are tunnels underneath the Black Bull that connect to the Church (and some that lead to places we are not sure of) that it is believed, could have been possible escape routes for the Priests when Henry Viii ordered the dissolution of the monasteries.
Another historic figure who frequented the Black Bull Inn was Charlotte Bronte when she was visiting her best friend Ellen Nussey, who is buried in the churchyard. Charlotte’s book Shirley was based on the Luddite uprisings in the Yorkshire textile industry and the Luddite’s themselves were another group of people that used the Black Bull as a meeting place.
In 1839 the upstairs room became the Magistrates Court for the local parish, quite a number of people were said to have been ‘despatched’ here but the main hangings took place in Birstall’s main market place.
The original judges stand and prisoner’s dock is still in situ and the judge’s study is now affectionately known as the snug. The cells are still believed to be in stiu but have been bricked up for safety.
The landlord’s and bar staff, along with many of the regulars report almost daily occurrences of activity within the pub. Doors opening by themselves, people being tapped on the shoulder, women reporting a choking feeling when using the ladies room, feelings of being watched, shadows passing across the bar when no one else is there, light anomalies been witnessed on the CCTV, antique clocks starting to tick when they haven’t been wound up, cold breezes and more than one person has reported seeing the apparition of a man covered in blood walking through the bar. Light anomalies have been captured, voices have been heard over spirit boxes, equipment triggered on command…this location is an absolute forgotten gem and an absolute must for anyone genuinely interested in the spirit world and the paranormal.
What Happens on our Events
- Small groups on the night, no more than 10 people per group.
- Explore more traditional techniques such as Ouija boards, Table tipping, Glass divination.
- Latest ghost hunting equipment, including EMF meters, EDI meters, REM pods, Spirit boxes, Ovilus 5 and much more.
- Free time for those brave enough to explore and investigate by themselves.
- You are more than welcome to bring your own equipment with you on the night.
- When travelling to your ghost hunt please allow for possible delays during your journey.
- We recommend you bring enough layers of clothing with you to keep you warm throughout the night.
- There are NO sleeping facilities at our events unless otherwise stated by Really Haunted.
- Over 18’s only please.